Debugging

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Coordinator
Nov 16, 2012 at 9:58 PM

A tool to debug embedded javascript would be a huge boon.  There seems to be movement on Mozilla's side around this, with changes to JSDBGAPI, JSD2, Firebug, and JSON debugging protocols being added.  With so many moving parts in the Mozilla codebase I'm having difficulty determining the real direction, I just read in some forum post that JSDBGAPI is being removed entirely.  We should find what existing tooling there is for embedded JS, and what is to come.  Maybe we're close to having debuggable JS already with something built upon JSDBGAPI.. however I don't think these new JSON remote debugging protocols will be available to use for the embedded JS.  I know I'm babbling, anyone have thoughts?

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Where did you see that JSDBGAPI is being removed?

I'm finding it difficult to filter out the Firefox blogs from the SpiderMonkey blogs. I'm plugged into the Mozilla Javascript blog the mailing list, and a couple others.

Coordinator
Nov 21, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Correction:

Bobby Holley wrote: > Just FYI, you shouldn't write any new code that depends on jsd.  It's going to go away once jsdbgapi2 is ready to go.

Researched further, JSDBGAPI2 seems to be coming, part of spidermonkey not firefox, and containing the remote debugger.  Seems that's the future of debugging embedded JS.  However, I've seen some wrappers to the existing JSDBGAPI that allow remoting (Piston and jsdb have it, but neither are too sexy).